Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Light at the end of the tunnel

There are three more weeks of classes after this week ends. Then finals. This is good...I see a faint light at the end of the tunnel.

The end of Torts cannot come soon enough. The professor, though very bright and well-meaning, may as well be speaking a foreign language. We have no idea what he'd actually like us to know when it comes to test time. Before the midterm, I read an outside resource and a lightbulb went on. Oh! That's what he's been trying to say. I took the midterm over a month ago, but we've never gotten the results back. In the meantime, I have settled into the idea that I will have to teach myself the rest of the semester of Torts. Having come to this conclusion, I go to class to sign in, as required, and I sit in the back and get other work done. I haven't read anything since the midterm. This is not good. If I am going to teach myself Torts, I should probably get to it.

In Legal Writing, I will be just fine. The professor's style is dry and not at all engaging. Still, my writing is carrying me and, lucky for me, part of the grade in this class is based on Oral Arguments. For some people, that is daunting and intimidating, not to mention that it seems an unfair grading component in a class called Legal WRITING. Still, this is where I make up for lost points.

Family Law...neither excites me, nor repels me. I just keep on moving toward the finish line.

I had an epiphany this semester that I probably should have been on to long ago. I have worried about keeping my scholarship since I started, knowing that I won't be paying these fees out-of-pocket. And I am right on the cusp, the outcome completely hinging on this semester's grades. The epiphany? That's by design! The school gives out ample and generous scholarships to first year students in order to attract a large and more prestigious incoming class. The school has very high attrition. Some fail out, which the school likes because those students might have brought down their bar passage rate. Those who do fine, but fall under the scholarship criteria have a choice...drop out or pay up. The school then benefits because most of these students will take out exorbitant student loans to pay to complete their already large investment in their schooling. Beautiful...when these students pay up, the school has even more funds to entice the next entering class of students...and the cycle repeats. They even set their grading standards to make certain that this all occurs. Cynical? I don't think so. I think it is the reality. Will I be one of those middle students? We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment